Initial and Renewal Application for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
Applications must be done in person. In order to apply you must email Detective Daniel J. Piotrowski at DPiotrowski@Trentonpolice.net to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins will not be accepted. Upon your arrival to the appointment, you must have email proof of your scheduled appointment and the following:
1. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card. The original must be with you at the time of your appointment and you must have a copy of the documents for submission.
2. Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit to Carry A Handgun, form SP642.
Each application must be double sided and notarized.
3. Four (4) color passport size photographs.
4. Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
5. Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying:
a. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt, purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing the make, model and serial number of handgun(s).
b. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
6. Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
7. All applicants must be fingerprinted for initial or renewal applications. Applicants can visit the IdentoGO website to schedule an appointment.
When scheduling use ORI#: NJ0111100 for City Of Trenton (Mercer County) a fingerprint service code (2F164B) and
contributors case number (use applicants last name, month, day, and year of application).
Fingerprints results MUST BE received within 90 days of application.
**FAILURE TO FOLLOW ANY OF THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN YOUR APPLICATION BEING RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY**
Application forms are available to download online at: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml
For all inquiries regarding firearms, please contact:
Detective Daniel Piotrowski